Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I'm a married person


Wow, I've been a wife now for about 3 months! And I've observed the ways in which it is new to me. Here's some of them:

1. I get to make lunches! Like a mom does: I get up before my dear one leaves, and make a sandwich, grab an apple or carrots, dessert, chips, a drink, and put them in a sack. I send this out the door in the morning with a kiss, and get the crumbs and tupperware back in the evening. 

2. I learn how to wash unique clothes. An Army Combat Uniform has lots of velcro on it, and if you don't match up all the velcro before it goes into the washer, it can have globs of socks stuck to it afterward. Also, the American flag patch goes on the right shoulder so that the stripes "wave" behind it, to the left. Good to know. 

3. With our forces combined... we know lots about world history AND botany. I am constantly asking Matt things like "What happened in World War One?" or "How long has there been a  North Korea?" Come to think of it, he doesn't reciprocally probe me for plant names, but I am always ready to enlighten with cool facts like "These are alder trees because they like all-der roots in da water."

4. I have discovered new foods. Mango sorbet for one, and in general the value of ice cream after the evening meal. There also exists snacks which I never could have dreamed up, like honey-mustard covered pretzels. And "Flippies", which are a German creation that is basically peanut-flavored Cheetos. 

5. There is more bravery in me than I knew! I can rock Chuck Taylors and go on long runs several days in a row. Definitely wouldn't have tried those if I wasn't now married. I also wouldn't have ever thought to endure an 18-month engagement with my fiance away in a war zone, but I got all kinds of strength out of that project!

That's just the start, of course. I'm looking forward to the rest of the teaching which marriage holds for me, all the travels yet to come, and jokes yet to be made. And Boggle to be played.  

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, it is what some people call black Converse shoes.

    ReplyDelete